Monday, September 7, 2015

Definitely not a Last Resort

         

          This past week was a special week in Athens, GA: the start of football season. With the first game of the season last Saturday, Athens was flooded with alumni, visitors, and fans from all around the country. Everyone lives for this time of year, and being a student at the University of Georgia makes the experience that much better. The start of the year brings many times to celebrate, and that is exactly what a group of friends and I did on Friday night. The start of senior year and football season, birthdays, and full-time job offers, my friends and I had many reasons to celebrate. And when you have something to celebrate in Athens, GA, there is only one place to go: Last Resort Grill. All Athenians know how special and delicious this restaurant is. From the iconic downtown location, to the out-of-this-world food, Last Resort Grill tops all of the lists of best restaurants in Athens.
Horseradish Crusted Salmon with kale and black bean mash
            When it comes to such a special restaurant as Last Resort, I am a creature of habit, ordering the same thing every time I go, simply because it’s that good. Horseradish crusted salmon on top of kale and black bean mash, finished off with their famous white chocolate cheesecake. I’m telling you, this meal is outrageously good. So on this night out with my friends, enjoying each other’s company, we still always love to take out our iPhones, open up our camera app, and capture the memories to later post on social media. It’s the way our generation works now: we love spending time with each other, but then we equally love sharing it with the social media world. As I post my picture of my white chocolate cheesecake to Instagram, I make sure to include the Last Resort Grill geo-tag. The geo-tag is one of my favorite things to look at on Instagram. It easily collects people’s Instagram posts into one spot to allow for easy viewing by the public. I love looking at it to see the beautiful cuisine creations people enjoy on their Last Resort outings. The geo-tag is also a great way for people to decide if they want to go to that particular restaurant. Sometimes for me, if I am not familiar with a certain restaurant, but I want to see what the food looks like in order to decide if I want to go eat there, I take to the pictures on Instagram geo-tags. This Instagram feature is highly used by Last Resort customers and always makes me excited to see new posts.
White Chocolate Cheesecake
            Along with Instagram, Last Resort Grill is also active on Facebook and Twitter. These social media outlets don’t receive as much attention as their Instagram, but they are still valuable outlets for Last Resort to get their name out to the public and keep their customers excited about their offerings.
            While I was sitting at the table in the restaurant, I noticed underneath the table glass that they had advertisements promoting their event space, Last Resort Grill Provisions. Located at the popular Athens, GA intersection of Five Points, Last Resort Grill Provisions is a unique event facility tailored to Last Resort Grill’s charm. These advertisements on the table were in a great location; I mean, they were literally right at my plate. They didn’t waste space on the actual table, so I didn’t immediately just push it to the side. This advertisement definitely hit the “place” feature right on the dot.

            The Last Resort Grill also makes great use of their website. They include beautiful pictures, their menu, stories of how they got started, and information of where they get their food. I visit this website quite frequently, just to see if they’ve added anything new to the menu. No matter how many times I go, I know I’ll never get tired of Last Resort Grill. It’s definitely a one-of-a-kind restaurant that makes Athens so special.

1 comment:

  1. Last Resort really is always a treat and they have done such a great job with marketing that everyone knows it is the place for celebrating big events. I haven't used geotags to decide if I would like a restaurant but I think that's a great idea. Social media helps take the guessing game out of choosing a new restaurant for sure!

    ReplyDelete